Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sivananda Yoga Retreat, Paradise Island, Bahamas

I've just returned from my second visit to the Sivananda Yoga Retreat (http://sivananda.org/nassau) on the ocean of Paradise Island, Bahamas. After a pleasant trip, full of surprises and blessings, I'm home with a renewed spirit. I am continually reminded of the blissfully powerful effects of seeking mental "re-treat" and psych escape from the daily grind. 

The dictionary provides great insight into the term "re-treat" [ri-TREET]: the noun form refers to "the forced or strategic withdrawal of an army or an armed force before an enemy" and the verb form indicates "to withdraw, retire, or draw back, esp. for shelter or seclusion"  (http://www.dictionary.com). Both the noun and verb forms provide dynamic [mental] analogies for the sort of "recluse abandon" afforded by visiting the yoga retreat.

I imagine this journey has helped me "flip a switch" to truly effect inner peace... not in the traditional "light bulb" sense, but in a spiritual sense! More to follow soon... I hope you too will share your retreat experiences and join me in other blogs related to my daily happenings! The idea behind the blog is to understand the meaning of life's experiences as each "flips a switch!"





 



5 comments:

  1. I arrived prepared for the rains and actually really enjoyed the thunderous weather... it was a great complement to the high energy, intermittent sunshine, and crashing waves.

    My mobile phone didn't work inside the airport AND I was unable to contact the ashram by pay phone, so I approached the car rental counter and was pleasantly surprised at the warmth I received... the agent allowed me to ring the ashram to let them know I had arrived, so that the boat could be sent to pick me up.

    After a 30 minute taxi ride (at $1/min), I arrived at Mermaid Dock to await the ashram boat... waited and waited to no avail, even beyond the scheduled boat time (see the picture of the schedule). I got bored standing on the dock, so I took random pictures of pigeons, the work going on in the dock, etc. However, I soon began chanting and felt at peace. The boat arrived soon thereafter [not in the literal sense, but in the transfigurative sense afforded by my chanting immersion]... this marked my first retreat from the norm!

    I arrived at the ashram after the peaceful boat ride across the bay, proceeded to registration, and quickly on to my room... OCEANFRONT double room. It was great... I thought I wanted a roommate, but I was alone all weekend in this great room [YAY for mindful escape].

    I soon realized the Universe was on my side... I received another amazing blessing-- the gift of a yoga mat left behind by the previous guest. I battled whether I wanted to travel with a mat and ultimately decided I'd buy one at the ashram boutique and then donate it to the ashram... Turns out the price at the boutique was $40, ouch! [in which case, I would have brought the mat back most likely].

    I missed the first yoga class that evening because I fell asleep 30 minutes prior as I was in bed listening to the ocean and the rain! No big deal...I rolled out the gifted mat and did a private class with less clothes than allowed at the ashram [sorry, TMI]. Another freeing blessing/ escape/ retreat! Private room, private yoga class, ...

    Dinner was great that evening-- the kitchen staff were freed of their duties by the maintenance crew... and it was amazingly good, possibly the best meal all weekend! I joined in on the ritual prayer and felt the energy of the group in the circle. Another sign it would be a great weekend. The night came to a close with satsang and a lecture on Oriental Medicine, quite informative... this was day #1 of the Memorial Day Weekend celebration at the ashram... and I was truly at peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to embark my Teacher Training at this location for one month!! I'm excited and nervous as I keep reading some terrible remarks about noise!! But your pictures are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I was researching on my future trip to the Ashram and I was wondering where the Mermaid dock is located? I can't find it on any map!
    Much appreciated,
    Tobi

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you tell the cab driver at the airport Mermaid Dock, they'll know exactly where it's located-- it's a 25-30 minute car ride from the airport. Everyone knows the yoga retreat, and it's one of the standard ways to get to Paradise Island. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s great to hear! Please let us know what you think of it. I am greatly enjoying it, myself. Thanks for your update.

    yoga

    ReplyDelete