Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The mystery of attaining peace and serenity in this uncertain world...

As mysterious as the deepest pockets of the mind, the age old question of the secrets to peace and serenity remains forefront, especially in these uncertain times. Has anyone truly achieved the state of samadhi? Perhaps the solution to the mystery lies in continually adapting asymptotically... with each subsequent increment toward bliss bringing us that much closer to achieving the sought after state, thus keeping the mind busy and essentially fooled into thinking attainment has been achieved.

Mystery I certainly know much about! Many have considered me mysterious-- friends, co-workers, and even family. My first annual review in graduate school was perplexing... I performed at the top of my class, yet the sentiment remained "Dax is a mysterious person." The struggles continued as the faculty and my fellow classmates attempted to chisel away at the perceived psycho-emotional mystery that surrounded me like an aura.

The mind I know much less about...despite having studied neuroscience on one hand and yoga on the other hand. I believe the brain has immense powers, but the realm of the mind-brain connection, that remains a bit of a mystery to me... a mystery I enjoy thinking about, yet believe the connection should never be cracked-- as that may take the fun out of life! Therefore, I live a simple life of self- and other-exploration aimed at not controlling the mind, but instead observing the mind. These observations I achieve through meditation and breathwork... both of which afford a comfortable sense of peace and serenity.

Uncertainty abounds, but I relish the imprecision of life, the mind, and the ebb and flow of peace and serenity. This is my little secret to life... Living in the moment, releasing the past, and contemplating the future without either tense (present, past, or future) pulling excessively. My view of time [and the non-attachment to either the present, past, or future] parallels the requisite balance of the id, ego, and superego. We must approximate balance of our desires and constraints; we must integrate present, past, and future. We must allow time to essentially become a non-factor. That's my view on peace and serenity... just relax and release... it will happen!

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to do that retreat for so long; why have I neglected myself? Who am I?
    multiple answers ~ none of them precise.
    Thank you for the reminder.
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail... it's definitely a nice place to visit, to get away, recoup, and meet some great people from all over the world. High season (November-May) is very busy with lots of classes (including teacher training) going on. This trip (Memorial Day weekend, end of May) was perfect... season coming to a close, but lots of staff still present, a handful of vacationers, and a decent size workshop.

    I know what you mean re: no precise reason... but just make a conviction of the next time you have a week free, make arrangements, and get away to the retreat... you will not regret it!

    Om Namo Narayanaya!

    ReplyDelete